I am looking for any and all venues for advertising for submissions, so if you have a contact or would like to post this CFP, please let me know and I'll send you a pdf. And, here's the new and improved CFP for the upcoming conference:
Call for Papers:
James Bond Franchise & Eurospy in Popular Culture
Title and Abstract Submission Deadline: November 16, 2012
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association
34th Annual Conference celebrating “Popular/American Culture(s) in a Global Context”
Conference Dates: February 13 - 16, 2013
Conference Hotel: Hyatt Regency, 330 Tijeras NW, Albuquerque, NM (505) 842-1234
Conference Website: http://www.swtxpca.org
The SWTX PCA/ACA James Bond Franchise & Eurospy in Popular Culture Area Chair invites papers for the annual conference on ANY aspect of the James Bond franchise and the Eurospy genre in films, literature, comics, video games, and any other popular culture medium. Here are some topics to consider, but is by no means an exhaustive list:
- Continuity challenges of a 50+ year old franchise (all mediums)
- Analyzing Bond’s motives in the history of Bond films – have they changed?
- Is there room for a 21st Century Bond?
- Explore criticism of recent Bond movies being more like Bourne movies
- Comparison of Bond portrayals in the films; masculinity studies
- Picking Bond – History of Bond Candidates
- Literary Bond (Fleming, et. al.) vs. Filmic Bond
- Bond Women/Sexism in Bond Films/Women’s Studies perspective
- Switching Genders: The Character M
- Villains as metaphors for nationalistic/political sentiments
- James Bond Jr. Cartoon/Comics
- Videogame adaptations – Goldeneye, Legends, etc.
- Bond Inspired: Eurospy, Asian inspired movies, 1960s - today
- Eurospy films – how do they challenge and/or expand on Bond tropes?
- Exploring star and production structure of the Eurospy films
Please note the following presentation details:
- Please send a 250 word abstract and the presentation title by November 16, 2012 via the online submission link at: http://conference2013.swtxpca.org
- Presentation time consideration: 15 – 20 min maximum. Limit of one presentation at the conference. For all areas accepting abstracts, please see: www.swtxpca.org/documents/123.html
- There are no honorariums for presenters; this is an academic conference. There are however, a number of conference award opportunities. To see a full list of award opportunities: www.swtxpca.org/documents/48.htm
Michele Brittany, James Bond Franchise & Eurospy in Popular Culture Area Chair
Facebook: Spy-fi & Superspies